JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Buddhist Vs. Jewish Approaches to Danger

So here's my dilemma, which I am told is common for JuBus. The Jewish response to danger is to protect oneself, to work on one's defenses, etc. The Buddhist response seems almost the opposite, to have compassion for even those who are trying to hurt you and to stay present/not worry about future dangers. The Jewish response tends to leave me cut off from my feelings and from the present. The Buddhist response leaves me extremely vulnerable. As I write this, I think to myself, that well of course being vulnerable is a part of life BUT that maybe to the degree to which I can keep myself still connected to my feelings and the present moment that it is okay to build defenses. Any other JuBus with an opinion on this one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]