JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Alzheimer's Association

I just came back from meeting with someone from my local chapter of the Alzheimer's Association. The woman gave me some materials to look at and encouraged me to get my dad some support. I don't know if this is true, but she told me that 60% of caregivers die before the person that they're taking care of (although clearly this must be influenced by the age of many caregivers) but anyway, she said that I better get him some support. She said that my mom's pacing around the house is a sign that she is under-stimulated. She also encouraged me to go to a monthly support group that they sponsor for adult children of people with Alzheimer's. I think I'll go, and try to get my dad tapped into the organization where he lives.

Link

3 Comments:

Blogger Karma said...

Okay, as I walk around, this whole thing sinks in. I tried to call my sister to talk about it and my dad's brother, but neither were home. So, I decided to call my dad. He said that he got info from the A's Assn when my mom went to the neurologist last Nov., but that basically he hasn't looked at it. Then, I think to gain control, he started asking me about what I've gotten done on fixing up my place and gave me a hard time about something not being done. Oy.

Monday, April 17, 2006 3:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh K....
He obviously is trying to change the subject, switching the topic back to you so he does not have to express his uncertainty....I hope he realizes that he has such a caring daughter reaching out to him. Perhaps he'll come around, it seems he has not accepted yet all that is happening with your mother. It takes time, obviously. Perhaps through your group attendance, they can guide you as how to encourage your father to seek some support of his own. Granted, this is something you can not do for him. * hug *
(this is a time when you are being reminded in a very obvious way that your parent does not have all the answers, and sometimes does not choose to use the resources available to them - but didn't they encourage you to experience all the world has to offer? funny contradiction, eh?)

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

That is a funny contradiction....true of your parents too, eh? Yeah, my dad would not be happy about anything having to do with a support group!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]