JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Friday, August 04, 2006

The Spiritual Path to Healthy Relationships

I had a therapy session today where we talked mostly about relationships, namely of the romantic type, where I gained a lot of insight into this pattern that I have of being attracted to people who I think it can't work out with and putting too much pressure onto relationships where maybe it could.

Anyway, so I have discovered that creating healthy relationships is going to be a spiritual path. It will be a path of taking things one step at a time and not looking too forward into the future. It will be a path of putting up some boundaries with *A* and starting to redefine the relationship based on my terms (I know, many of you have told me in the past, but for some reason when my therapist said it, it just clicked as something possible - maybe it is because *A* and I are in different states). It will be a path of not thinking that I have to make a bunch of sacrifices to make the relationship work. It will be a path taken with much more self-esteem, where I don't fear that someone will discover flaws in me and run.

Can I actually follow this path? Thinking about it in Buddhist terms helps, by making it a spiritual path: I won't do it perfectly, but every day I will aspire to be on the path. If I mess up, I'll try again the next day. Well, this is the theory anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger tafka PP said...

Yes, you can. And we'll be cheering you on all the way (somewhat jealously)

xxx

Sunday, August 06, 2006 5:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]