JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Treating and Preventing Migraines

I suffer from migraines now about once every two weeks or so, although they are getting somewhat better with the treatments that I've been using. Since I know so many people suffer from migraines and to help me remember what I'm doing that's working, here's a list of what's worked for me:

1. acupunture
2. chiropractor
3. non-drug: taking Petadolex (Butterbur)*, Feverfew, homeopathic rememdies, 5-HTP, and magnesium and calcium (take these two together). Except for the homeopathic remedies, I take these every day as a preventative.
4. migrastick: peppermint aromatherapy oils in general are supposed to help, but this involves rubbing peppermint and lavender oils on temples
5. avoid all alcohol during a migraine or when I feel one coming on, drinking a lot of water
6. Advil 200-400mg 4xs/day
7. lay down with my feet elevated
8. heat on my back
9. Stretch out my back, neck and shoulder muscles
10. Massage these muscles as much as I can -sometimes, I'll get a therapudic massage (during a migraine, cranio-sacrial techniques are best)
11. caffeine - I don't usually consume a lot, so I just make myself a cup of green tea

Still, if I get a migraine, it won't go away fully until I go to sleep.

*Petadolex is often given as a prescription by neurologists, but you can order this pretty cheaply from vitamin shops (try Swanson's).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karma,

I've also had very good luck with biofeedback/meditation/deep breathing. Good luck...

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 4:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]