JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Options, Options, Options: I Don't Give Up

So, I have been thinking about what my dad said to me the other day, that we shouldn't make too many waves because we don't have any other options of places to bring her. So, today I called over to another Sunrise facility that is actually closer to where my dad lives, and I met with the executive director who is FABULOUS (i hope).

She has a background in nursing home and assisted living care and a degree in social work. And they're hiring a full time activities director and a full time activities assistant. And, she said that people get activities at every stage of the disease, not like at Mom's facility, where activities are only geared for half of the residents. She also said that she's going to try to make her facility the best of the Sunrise facilities in the area and that she is trying to hire the best people in the business who she's met over the last many years in her experience. Mom's current floor coordinator comes from a background doing admitting in a hospital.

I talked to Dad about it, which I was very nervous about, and he seemed somewhat open to the idea, although I could tell very nervous. It would cost about an extra $10,000/year it looks like, but I don't think that he's going to really make that the issue. And, I've decided if he is, I'll offer to chip in.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karma--Good luck with this. You are an angel to your mother! Let me know how you make out--it sounds like the key to finding a good place is not only price but the commitment of the staff. The woman you spoke to sounds great.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give up. It may seem like one step forward and two steps back but your effort makes a positive difference.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:00:00 PM  
Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

I hope it works out - sounds like a good spot for her.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:20:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Actually, Deb, it sounds like to me that the most important thing is the executive director. Thanks to you and Keith and Bailey for your comments. I left Mom's so diappointed and heartbroken tonight, so I really needed the encouragement. She's starting to forget my name. I think I'm starting to just be the person who tucks her into bed. Although she still really clearly cherishes that.

Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there Karma..This is a hard road, but we are all hanging in here together. Hope this new place works out, go with your gut feelings. Im sorry your Mom has forgotton your name, i am also going through the same thing. I believe that my Mom knows my face but cant get my name out.

Monday, August 28, 2006 6:20:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

I should clarify that the other place won't open until the end of December. So, I'll have to come back to town for that, and we'll have to figure something out with the old place for awhile. I may just on my own hire a "companion" to come out and be with her a couple of hours here and there, and to check up on the facility.

Monday, August 28, 2006 7:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]