JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Sunday, July 08, 2007

A Few Tips for Caregivers

Here are a few things that worked really well for my Mom:

  1. When watching a movie, put on the subtitles in English. That way she can read the movie as well as watch it; it helps her be able to follow.
  2. A few of the musical DVDs have "singalong" functions. They'll play only the song part of the musical WITH the words as subtitles and highlight which part of the song they're singing.
  3. Give a lot of positive feedback. I'd give my Mom little tasks - ie like when I took her to the bathroon, and when I would tell her "good job," she seemed to do better.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself and you got that bike. I can only imagine what life is like with your mother's illness and I think of you often going through that. Thanks for these tips. I have a neighbor friend who has hospice care coming in and I had a very frustrating interaction with her the other day--I can apply these ideas. ;)

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]