JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Activites for Mom

I met with the family and caregiver coordinator from the local Alzheimer's Association. She lent me this book "The Best Friends Book of Alzheimer's Activities" (vol.1). The place where my mom is, often activities don't end up happening. I'm going to try to organize things on my own! Any ideas?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a particular sort of activity you are looking for? I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to help with your q, but I need some parameters to go by....like how long you want it to be, the budget, will this take place in her room, etc.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 7:04:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

I imagine doing most of the activities in common areas on her floor. There is a kitchen, an area with tables just for schmoozing, a tv/dvd.

It's my mom, so there is no budget - whatever it costs is fine.

Mom has a very low attention span, so generally activities which are shorter are good, but in the book it suggests doing multiple activities on a similar theme.

Here are some of my ideas so far:
Cookie decorating
Flashcards
Board games based around a skill
makeover (play with makeup).

I know that she already does:
folding
washing dishes
sing-alongs
watching dvds
walking dog.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

I called the activities director at my mom's place today and asked that instead of baking (which no one does there...plus they only have a toaster oven so nothing comes out) if they can do cookie decorating - something my mom used to do and enjoyed and which is very easy.

I left a message....we'll see if anything comes of it.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 7:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]