JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

My Mom is Cute

Tonight, I did this activity with my mom, going through some questions in a personal history writing book. I asked her what her name is and she gave me her maiden name. Then, I asked her address, and she gave me the address of the house really quickly. I asked her how old she is, and she said she didn't know. I told her that she's 61. She made this very funny face, like she was completely appauled: 61? That's old. I'm not that old.

Me: I'm sorry, but you are. I'll prove it. What year were you born?

Mom: 1945.

Me: What year is it now?

Mom: I'm kind of tired.

Me: It is 2006. If you subtract 1945 from 2006, it is 61. How old am I?

Mom: About the same.

Me: The same as what? (Mom doesn't answer.) I'm 30.

Mom: Am I older or younger?

Me: (Giving up on this one...) do you have any brothers or sisters?

Mom: Irene and [Karma].

Me: (laughing, I can't help it) actually, I'm your daughter.

Anyway, she didn't remember a lot of stuff. Not even her father's name, until I told her, and then she recognized it right away. When I asked her about her bubbe, she said that she remembers her in the kitchen. I asked what Bubbe made, and she said that she doesn't remember but that it was good.

Earlier, she told me that she thinks that my dad lives downstairs. She thinks that I live next door to her, but also always asks if I want to sleep in bed next to her.

When I got her ready for bed, I told her to brush her teeth, and she replied "You sound like a mother." I laughed. It was a funny night.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karma--Sometimes I think my mother is trying to build her own world, and I keep knocking it down. So I let some of her beliefs stand, like you are. I figure that she's returning to something--maybe not quite as simple as her past, but in that neighborhood. Sometimes I'm her sister, sometimes I'm her mother, and sometimes I'm even her husband! A couple of years ago I would have been shocked to foresee this, but now, if it gives her comfort, it's okay with me.

Monday, July 24, 2006 5:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless You...Karma
I can see how much you love your Momma and the storey is truely adorable.
TC,
Peg

Monday, July 24, 2006 6:21:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Thanks Deb and Peg. I know that some people get angry about their confusion, and my mom really is just sweet about it. I can tell that she's trying to make it easier on me. She used to think that I'm her mother, which is why it tickles me that she thinks I'm her sister - a sister is a friend, a supporter. And I realize that I almost see her now as I saw my sister (who looks a lot like my mom) when we were little, playing and being silly together. Deb, I think its good that we're able to be okay with this and not push them too much to break down the only sense of the world that they can make.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:03:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

Even though the visit to Grandma's was rough, her cousin Judy helped Mom remember a whole lot more about their bubbe and their childhood.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:30:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Even though the visit to Grandma's was rough, her cousin Judy helped Mom remember a whole lot more about their bubbe and their childhood.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 4:30:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Check it out - this post has been named one of the funniest posts about Alzheimer's:
http://drblogstein.blogspot.com/2007/01/funniest-posts-of-2006.html

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]