JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Fierce Grace: Ram Das

I just finished watching this movie, and it seems quite related to my quest. It is about how a very spiritual, mystical man copes with having a stroke and becoming somewhat paralyzed. It is a story of finding spirituality, having it tested, and regaining a sprituality that is based on acceptance. It is a little out there for me, but I respect the journey he takes. Ram Das sees serving other people as a spiritual path, as well as recognizing the interconnectedness between people. I like the perspective the movie presents that losing one's abilities does not mean that we lose ourselves and that through loss, we can become better people - but not to seek out suffering and loss (as Jews sometimes do), instead to seek an end to suffering by an acceptance of the here and now.

In relation to my mom, it helps me see my time with her as a blessing, not as a burden. Also, the movie helped me remember that I can (theoretically) let go of worry and seeing this time as something to suffer through, but instead to find the ways to relish in the moments. (I sound like a person whose been spoiling herself, clearly; we'll see how I feel next week.)

Link

1 Comments:

Blogger Gail Rae said...

Karma,
If spoiling yourself results in these wonderful attitudes, I say, spoil away!

Saturday, July 15, 2006 12:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]