JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Big Steps

I called the Director and used the word "neglect" which got his attention really fast. He said that if I have a problem, maybe the right thing is to move my mother. I said "Andy, that sounds like a threat." I know that this is against the law and went to www.kansas.gov and found it online, printed it out, and showed it to my dad.

I got in touch with the state ombudsman who gave me advice and suggested that I talk with Andy, then the people at Sunrise Corporate, and then come back to him if there is still a problem. But, he said that I have legitimate concerns that Sunrise should be willing to correct on a pretty quick basis. He suggested that I focus my argument on Mom, not everyone. He said that it isn't okay that Sunrise has accepted so many patients that would be better placed in a nursing home. He also said that they legally have to provide "sufficient staff" and enough to evacuate people in 5 minutes. So, I printed out a bunch of the laws and put together a memo stating that there aren't enough staff or activities and that this constitutes neglect (although I didn't use the word - I used the state's definition of neglect in quotation marks.

My dad is avoiding me, and I can tell doesn't agree with how I am handling things. But, he's coming to the meeting tomorrow. I am really anxious about how all of this is going to go. I called my therapist who suggested that I touch base with Dad's best friend (I left her a message) and is letting me come see her after the meeting tomorrow even though she does not ususally schedule appointments then. There's a lot on the line right now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like some waves in the sea of change. I pray you get the desired results, because if they do not even have enough staff to evacuate, that's too high of a risk to take. Stand your ground woman, you have every right to demand what is your mothers right to have. So very proud of you. Your father will come around, you are his strength. Really.

love, S.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]