JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Victory is Mine!

The meeting went so incredibly well yesterday. The director of the facility changed his tune entirely; I think in part because there was serious follow-up from the person at corporate that I touched base with. There were two people at the facility on Mom's floor from corporate who work in the area of activities, just randomly around the same time as our meeting. The floor coordinator told me that they had spoken about how to make activities that are appropriate for Mom's interests and level. (Yea!)

The director promised us that Mom will start getting 2-4 activities in the morning, 2-4 in the afternoon, and 1-3 in the evening - each 15-20 minutes long. She'll also start getting her care plan implemented, which we updated a bit as well. The director said we should start seeing things get better almost immediately.

And I went up there last night, and there was an activity going on - the first time in a long time that I've seen this - with 15 people participating, and it went on until about 8:30pm. Of course, the staff left after about 15 minutes and family members led it, but it is still a big improvement. Oh, and there were staff around the whole time, so when I needed something (they didn't give my mom clean towels, they just took her dirty ones), there was someone to ask.

Link

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! Go Debra :-) It's really nice to see the efforts pan out!!!

Friday, August 25, 2006 3:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay to you Karma...Sounds like you have accomplished alot..in the short time you have been in KC. Makes you feel fabulious!!
Peg

Friday, August 25, 2006 5:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karma--You should be darned proud of yourself! I've just read the previous entries about your heroic efforts to get some changes made in your Mom's place. First of all--she's so lucky to have you. It's just so unbelievable that you would have to go to such extremes to make sure she has the basics! I'm learning from your example--my mother will probably move into an AL facility at some point and I hope I have your commitment. Now that's love. And now that they know that you are a force to be reckoned with, I'll bet they'll be extra careful--at least as long as your Mom lives there.

It sounds like you've had an extremely busy summer--I hope you get enough time for yourself before you go back to your work.

Friday, August 25, 2006 7:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]