JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Should We Videotape Rape?

Yes, it is a ridiculous question. But someone suggested it today after my talk. Another guy on the panel was analyzing video tapes of genocide, and it gave this other guy - some big wig in my field apparently - the idea that maybe we should video tape rape and then study it from an interactional perspective. Augghhhh grosss hebbes and jeebbes. And the genocide talk guy made some comment about Jews and Nazis and was talking about weak victims....and I am just so offended and creeped out by this all. Not to mention that there were only 10 people there, and the project didn't work for my presentation but then did for the others....It was just a hard morning. Plus, I forgot to take my anti-depressant this morning. And, I had added on a supplement 5-HTP (which is also a bit of an anti-depressant), so even though I took them just now, I'm still feeling majorly depressed.

On a good note, I did sleep very well last night since it was quiet and the bed didn't have enormous sags. Plus, I was friendly and had a long lunch with a couple of people which was nice. But, now I just am enjoying being alone in the hotel. I'm not quite sure waht to do with myself for the rest of the time here. I'll probably go back to the conference, venture out a bit by myself, do some work here, and maybe meet up with those people again....but geez, I really need a proper vacation at this point....somewhere probably where I don't have to fly to get there and no one will make offensive comments.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Video taping rape..thats appauling and very strange. Although actually there may already be videos out there, and im sure they wouldnt have to look to hard using the internet.
Hope all is well with ya,
Peg

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:18:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Hi Peg - -
Well this is what is so ridiculous about that man's comments. Becuase even if you had a video tape of a rape and you went past the moral dilemma of watching it - what would you be looking for? Anything that would be recorded would likely be based on rape myths - like what was she wearing, was she drinking - all of these things which put blame on the victim, instead of on the perp (where it belongs!).

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed..thats so true!!
Peg

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]