JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Some Resolution: This Really is My Calling

I woke up feeling a lot better, although there's still some tension in my neck and shoulders. I went to therapy again today to work stuff out, and I feel a lot better. I guess that I was reading some into my therapist's response, and she isn't so gung ho about me quitting academia and studying sexual violence. Instead, we talked about trying to find some way to stay on my path while finding a way to have balance in my life. Part of that is going to have to be better communication about and enforcement of boundaries with my research team and my advisor in particular.

I made an appointment to meet with an osteopath - who supposedly can help with my shoulder/back problems and migraines by manipulating areas of my back with his hands - kind of like a chiropractor or physical therapist, but with different training. He will be very expensive, but is highly recommended, and my insurance should pay for half of the cost. Of course, only if I get a referral, which means I have to schlep up to campus, but that's okay.

Anyway, I still have a little risidual pain from the migraine - like it hasn't totally gone away - because its aggrivated by movement and by light. So I'm not sure what to do - maybe just bite the bullet and take an Imitrex? Maybe just try to take the homeopathic and Chinese medicine stuff that I have? Maybe its a bad idea to go to Denver and be flying and aggrivating things more?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gail Rae said...

1. If you don't go to Denver, find a way to wear that dress!
2. Such good suggestions from Deb in the last post. I even copied it, as I am, at this time of taking care of my mother, an independent scholar in the closet, as is necessary, at the moment. It never occurred to me that academia will, of course, become less important to the life of a scholar, but I believe she is right. I'm excited about the possibilities. I hope yo are, too, Karma.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:36:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

I am excited about the possibilities. It makes me so nervous when someone challenges about my work because I so much want to do it. I'll be curious to hear later, Gail, about the independent scholar in the closet going on over there.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]