JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

What I Need: Someone to Break It Into Steps

I've been thinking about it more, in between watching "Queer as Folk" episodes from Netflix, and what I'm really missing from this therapist that I got from working with other therapists is:
other therapists that I've worked with in the past (in other places) have helped me realize the progress that I'm making, the issues that I need to keep working on, and breaking down those issues into small steps that I can take to make progress on them.

I really need to know that I'm on a path of healing and to know my direction. Shortly after the shooting, my therapist made a comment to me along the lines of, "so you're just going to have PTSD for another year?" It makes me feel hopeless, like there isn't anything that I can do to get myself better. What I need is small steps that I can take to help get myself through the PTSD, and ideally someone to give me positive feedback about taking these steps. My current therapist though, criticises these steps that I try to make. For example, she told me not to work out at school anymore (and granted I did comment that the numerous anorexic students working out there is perplexing) and not to over focus on the physical realm but try to balance out with spiritual realm stuff BUT working out at school (which is free and takes no commitment) has actually been a really good thing that I've been doing for myself - releasing endorphins, eating away some of the anxiety, breaking up the night, and being able to see immediate positive results (I've been looking pretty fine thank you).

So, I both need a new therapist and to be able to do this for myself. Maybe one of my next blog postings should be a list about these steps.....hmmm any ideas on how (via small steps that I can take) to get through PTSD?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]