JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Exhausted But Successful

Well, I just finished a 2 and a half hour meeting, and I am exhausted. This East Coast weather really takes a lot out of you. Plus, I didn't sleep well last night since I'm in this new place and jet lagged and there were a couple of noises in the morning. I think I may have to nap even though that goes against my whole cognative behavioral sleep plan. The meeting went really well though, and it felt really good to be in a room with important people talking about important things. It also feels good to be bonding with my advisor. I really just want to go home though and be in bed with my dog (who is in KC), so none of that is going to happen. When people asked what is going on in my life, I didn't know what to say because the only other thing other than this project is my mom going downhill, which feels strange to tell to strangers when everyone's being upbeat and presenting only the good things in their lives. I really don't think I would want to have to travel to things like this all the time as a lifestyle, although I know that it is expected somewhat of people in academia. It is reminiscent though of BBYO summer program and convention days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gail Rae said...

Karma,
When people who you know are interested only in "the good things" ask you what's going on in your life, simply say, "My life is going on in my life." Then shrug, smile, look exasperated, whatever seems to fit, and leave your "audience" to pick up the slack. They usually don't and if they do you know they are really interested.
Everybody wins with this strategy, including you, because no one is put in a position to lie.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 12:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]