JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Need To Ask For What I Need

What a whirlwind. I am back home now after throwing all of my stuff together and flying my sedated dog with me. *A* came to pick us up at the airport, and we took the scenic way home which took twice as long, but was a beautiful drive along the coast. But, I ended up eating chile rellenos for lunch, which I love but are full of cheese which both really upsets my stomach and can trigger a migraine. And then, I ate dinner really late when I wasn't hungry, but *A* was, and I don't know why I subconsciously try to be so easy to get along with and erase my own needs instead of acknowledging to myself and to others what my needs are and then trying to be compromising.

I feel like crap this morning. I slept badly having skipped my night time routine because *A* was already ready to go to bed and again I just erased my own needs. And my digestive system is all out of whack. And there are crises at work. And, I'm just disoriented altogether. I know that I had planned to hit the ground running and try to get a draft of my thesis out, but I think I may have to re-prioritize again and put some serious time into taking care of myself again.

I did the same thing also last week with my friend, Kathy. When I thought she was blowing me off, instead of just saying it and that I wanted to see her, I tried to pretend like there wasn't an issue and erased my needs. In the end, I got angry when she was waiting for me to call her to tell her where to meet.

I think that I do this because I just assume that my needs aren't going to get met. So, when I care about something, I try not to need it too much because I try to prepare to lose it. I get lost in my attachment to people, to feelings, etc. instead of being able to enjoy them in the present moment. The Jewish part of me that just gets neurotic about this stuff needs to be balanced out with the Buddhist parts of me that practice finding happiness in the present moment.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karma said...

Thanks so much Sanchi. I think maybe this is what happened with our friendship too - that both of us erased our own needs and it ate away at our friendship. I don't know. I think that both of us were raised to believe that it wasn't legitimate to have needs and we certainly didn't get what we needed from our families....anyway enough pscyhologizing, but I'm curious what you think about this.

*A* is only going to stay here for this week. He rented a studio starting October 1. It is so hard to talk to him about what I want. I'm really struggling with it.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:47:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Sanchi, it is a damn shame. I would like to work on rebuilding our friendship. Will you be in KC in December by chance? It would be great to see you.

I'm so sorry about your brother's divorce, but am glad that things are getting better with your family dynamics. I think that they are for me as well, with my dad, not with my sister.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 8:06:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

Ah read today's post....my dad can be such a jerk, I wish that I didn't have to be connecting to him. Anyway, his health has improved a lot thanks to me and my little dog. He's supposed to get blood work done again in a couple of months just to make sure, but it looks like he doesn't have cancer.

I'll be in KC Dec. 11 until January, so it'll be great to see you and finally meet your hubby.

Friday, September 29, 2006 10:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]