JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Whirlwind

Last night, I dragged myself out to a lecture by a woman who has dedicated herself to helping other women. I had met this woman about 10 years ago at a conference in D.C., and it really impresses me how much she has managed to accomplish in that time.

I thought that I would multi-task and do some reading for my thesis, but they turned the lights down really low. Still, I'm glad that I went.

On the way back to my car though, I man said something creepily to me from inside this dark corner. I couldn't make out what he said, but it really just gave me the heebies and the jeebies. I ran a bit until I was a safe distance away.

Then, I went to work out. Even though it was already 9:30pm by this point, it felt really good.

This morning, I met with someone about getting into a loss/grief support group at school, and then had a meeting for my job. Talking to the intake person, I realized how far I've come this year, how hard that I've fought to keep my head above water, and how many skills I have to take care of myself. Actually, I could tell that she was impressed that I do the cognitive behavioral therapy, the Stresseraser, and that I get the importance of taking care of myself.

In general, I feel so much better now that I'm off the Wellbutrin. But, everything just feels like a whirlwind - that I'm one place, then another; that I feel one thing, then another; that I'm rushing through all of these tasks for work and my thesis....

Labels: , , , ,

Link

4 Comments:

Blogger Gail Rae said...

I don't know, Karma, maybe the picture you placed with this post is supposed to represent a whirlwind, but as I read your post I get the sense from the picture of, hmmm...blue energy...reviving, exhilarating, coming into its own, like the components of a wave gathering. I'm encouraged for you that you chose this picture for this post. I think it's an optimistic fit.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karma,

Good luck with this transition - sounds like you are well on your way.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 4:56:00 AM  
Blogger tafka PP said...

Lecture sounds just what the Dr. ordered :)

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Thanks Gail and Mona for your support. Tafka - isn't it amazing how a little feminism goes a long way :P

Thursday, October 12, 2006 9:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]