JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Volver

Last night, I saw the movie "Volver" with a classmate, which I really enjoyed. The movie deals with death, incest, family relations, and inheritence in a very interersting way that is at times humorous. I highly recommend it. The incest is dealth with in such a way that I didn't find it triggering, but instead somewhat empowering.

Watching the movie increased this feeling that I've been having, which is that I just want to be with my mom for as long as possible. I don't care anymore about my career, although I know that at some point I will again. I just want to be with my mom.

Labels: , , ,

Link

4 Comments:

Blogger Gail Rae said...

I've been wondering about this movie. Think I'll check to see if it's available for rental, yet. I'm especially intrigued that it has led you to feel the need to be with family, especially considering what else you wrote about it and what I've heard about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:54:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

I doubt its out yet, but I'm sure it will be in a couple of months. I think that one of the things that the movie reminded me of is that even if your family is crazy and dysfunctional, they're still your family and they're still the people you can most count on in the world (although as I think about this, I realize that for most of my family, this isn't true).

Saturday, February 10, 2007 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Gail Rae said...

Oh! Cool...although I'm sure the story is much different, that's exactly the feeling I got from "Little Miss Sunshine"! I'll definitely be watching for this movie to hit DVD!

Sunday, February 11, 2007 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

I don't want to give anything away, but I recommend especially the movie for anyone who is a survivor of violence against women.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]