JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Took Jerry to Rabbi's House; Another Year of Grad School

Well, Jerry and I made up. Things are really great between us again. He even came yesterday to a lecture that I gave on rape culture and then came with me to a synagogue function for new members, dinner at the Rabbi's house. So, picture this - they make us all sit in the living room and go around the room and talk about our connection to Judaism and our Jewish selves. Jerry and I just looked at each other and laughed to ourselves. Luckily, he had a sense of humor about the whole thing, even the part later when we had to sit down again after dinner and hear about the basics of Judaism.

Anyway, I got an email from my advisor telling me that I have 2 instead of 1 year left of graduate school. She had a calendar, so how could I argue? Anyway, I guess that's not so bad, but it also shows that I can't really go to Kansas City next year. I'll have to settle for just going on visits here and there, maybe even being able to take a month or something every once in awhile. The good news is that its flexible, so that I can take time off without a lot of notice depending on how things are with my family.

I hear that Mom's continuing to worsen - getting more incontinent and forgetting more and more. She's not so able to make complete sentences even sometimes.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gail Rae said...

My heart goes out to you in regard to your Mom. And, for that matter, grad school...
I loved your summation of the "Jewish night" with Jerry! I couldn't help but think, since he was raised a Christian, he also has Jewish roots.
Although I can't tell you why, Karma, I began wondering, as I read this post in light of the immediately previous one, what family issues Jerry is bringing to this relationship, and which of these resonate for him from you?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

That very perceptive, Gail. Jerry has similar family issues to me: his dad was verbally abusive and didn't seem to much respect Jerry's mom I think. I think that we bring up these issues for each other, but hopefully, as Joe points out, we can try to help each other heal.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]