JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What I Do When the Emotion Hits

Recently, I've been feeling a lot of deep emotions -- fear, grief, sadness, anger. In the past, I may have spiraled out into a very negative cycle. I would have been overwhelmed and given into unhealthy coping mechanisms. Part of the reason why my experience right now is so emotional is that it hits at so many core issues for me - feeling alone in the world, safety, etc.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do now is to start by allowing myself to feel whatever comes up, and then let those feelings pass. Then, I'm going to try to make a plan that includes taking care of myself and trying to make the best of the situation.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

Wow! This sounds very healthy to me. Kudos! I know it can be extremely painful...but healing...to allow yourself to have these emotions. Thinking of you.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger April_optimist said...

Big hugs. Yes, what you feel is what you feel. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Monday, November 24, 2008 3:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried doing Tonglen practice when those emotions come up? I find that it's the best salve for me. It not only asks me to fully feel my emotions, but to transform them as a way to help everyone else who's feeling the same way. It provides a lot of comfort, space, and the courage to make friends with all the shit that never ceases to hound me down.

Also, I just found your blog today and want to tell you that you pull my heartstrings with your beautiful honesty.

Happy Holidays!

Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:41:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Thank you! If you have a blog post about Tonglen, please put the link here.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, my blog is so new I haven't gotten there...YET. I plan on posting on Tonglen in the future. I hope you'll come by sometime.

But for now, here's a wonderful and heartfelt article from Pema Chödrön regarding Tonglen:

http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/tonglen1.php

May all beings, everywhere and anywhere, benefit from our confusion!

Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]