JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Honesty Award: 10 Honest Things

April gave me honesty award for which I am grateful. Honesty is at the core of my blog. And it forces me to sit down and write. I've been running around for some time now - traveling, trying to finish my dissertation, and working as a researcher. I leave on Friday by the way to visit my family, and I have people to drive both ways with me.

So here are some honest things about me:

  1. I was recently quoted in an article about my dog's role in my healing from rape. It was published on this website.
  2. Despite that I'm completely lactose intolerant, I can't stop eating dairy products. They're SO yummy.
  3. I think of my friends as more like family; I'm closer to more of them than my family.
  4. I never completely live up to my quest -- its hard to keep the balance and intentionality there when I've got so much on my plate.
  5. I need my dog snuggled up on my leg to be able to fall asleep at night.
  6. I haven't been able to sleep for some time now without a small about of Ativan.
  7. I've been managing my anxiety by working out 5x/week. [And I look amazing because of it.]
  8. I SPOIL myself - massages, acupuncture, therapy, hospice grief counselor, pedicures, and chiropractor.
  9. I am a recovering perfectionist. Sometimes not so recovering.
  10. As much as I will attempt to remain grounded, I have very strong feelings for *Z* and hope that he feels the same way about me.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

LOL! I'm lactose intolerant and I save up all my dairy intake for ice cream and cheese!

That article is COOL! congrats! Hey, I wonder if we could get that into the BLOG CARNIVAL AGAINST CHILD ABUSE. It was dying a slow death, but I'm trying to revive it.

I'm glad you've got people to drive with you. Have a safe trip.

Friday, December 12, 2008 9:57:00 AM  
Blogger Gail Rae said...

I'm grinning as I finish this post, Karma...I'm sorry I haven't been able to visit in so long, I miss reading your posts; this one reminded me how much. I LOVE your honesty.
I'm concerned about your Mom and hope, when you arrive in KC, she is at least a bit more comfortable.
Forgive another one of my loooong lapses. My mother died a week ago this morning. Although on Hospice since the last of June, she was doing well until the last three days of her life but was requiring a higher intensity of care, so I put off "making the rounds". Now, ironically, I can do that, again.
I'm still stunned mindless but I have to say, it's very good to be reading you again.
Perhaps it's true that you "never completely live up to [your] quest," but this is most likely true for most questers. You keep turning back to it, though, providing your readers, including me, with such interesting material to contemplate. Thank you! Quest on, Karma!
P.S. I'm a little surprised, but amused, actually, that you're back to considering "Z". Yes, I just read your most recent post about you and him and your trip, so I understand where you're coming from. Your tenacity to keep after any issue until you are sure of a resolution, no matter how a matter resolves itself, amazes and delights me...this, along with your honored honesty, are two of the most striking and valuable aspects of your character. Don't abandon either in your current misery. I think they are significant to you being A Person of the Quest.

Monday, December 15, 2008 8:10:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

We're still on the road. Gail, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Are you blogging somewhere about this? Where can I find it?

Thanks to Marj and Gail for your continued support. Good for you Marj, for trying to revive the Carnival. I didn't write the article, but I'm sure the author would like to see it publicized.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 7:55:00 AM  
Blogger April_optimist said...

It's so great to learn more about you! I can totally relate to the dog thing--as well as a bunch of other stuff on your list. Thanks for playing.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Thanks for the honor!

Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]