JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

My Classmate is Missing, Presumed Drowned

So, A ended up calling me to pick him up last night. Same routine. Before we fell asleep, I told him (and I'm not sure if he quite remembers because he was half drunk and asleep) but that I know that I want to be with him, and that I know that he has stuff to figure out for himself, but that I'll wait for him.

Today, we had breakfast on the harbor and futzed around. I just got home and read my email. It seems that one of my classmates went home for Spring Break, got drunk, and fell into the ocean. He's missing now, but the search for him has been called off. I'm in a bit of shock.

I didn't know the guy THAT well, but we have a lot of mutual friends, and I've hung out with him a couple of times. He always seemed like a good guy, and he was very, very young - - just 22, the paper said, just out of undergrad, into grad school, with a great career ahead of him. It is very tragic.

It also makes me think about a re-occuring thought that I've had, which is how my department would respond if I got killed while in Israel. Most of my department might be described as anti-Israel, some quite strongly so. I know it is a morbid thought. We're such a big department, and everyone is competitive and gossipy. It makes me wonder. My poor classmate. I can't believe that this happened.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I am very sorry to hear about your classmate, K. I know it can be a trying time in life esp. when someone so similiar in age to oneself passes away. Perhaps your fellow classmates can get together and make a contribution in his memory to an organization that you think he'd like. *hug*
S.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]