JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Interview With Mom

Inspired by the podcasts of Gail, I decided to record an interview with Mom. I based the interview off of questions that I found here, although I wasn't able to complete it because Mom got tired. To get to the interview, click here.

Some things of note: My mom uses my real name once or twice in this interview, so if you listen to it, please don't start referring to me on the blog by my given name - use Karma. I figure that those of you who bother listening through the whole thing can be privy to the details of my life, but I don't want them listed on the blog, where they can be found through searches. Also, Mom tends to confuse the name of her husband and her father.

Labels: , ,

Link

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I just listened to this. I'm speechless right now. Didn't know your dad (or grandfather) was born in Tel Aviv?

Love, S.

Ps: This is a great recording to have for posterity. I've probably learnt more about your mom today than when I used to hang out at your house in hs!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

Thanks S. I agree that the recording will be a great thing to have for posterity. I'll have to make my sister a copy at some point; although I don't know if she'll appreciate hearing Mom's comment about how I was the good one and my sis gave her a hard time.

FYI - It was my father that was born in Tel Aviv. He immigrated to the States when he was 3 and 1/2.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Gail Rae said...

I just listened to this interview and I'm grinning from ear to ear! First, you and your mother sounds amazingly alike! Second, I am SOOOO reminded of what it's like to interview my mom...and I love the way you are handling the interviewing! You are so gentle with your mother...and she is such a gentle soul.
Thank you for this! Makes me forget all the difficulties involved in interviewing Mom and think about doing it again. I downloaded the questionnaire you used. I like it.
Thank you again, Karma.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:11:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

Yea! I'm so glad that you finally got to hear it. When I did it, I was thinking a lot about you, so I've been curious what you'd think about it. I recently found an interview that I did with Mom about 10 years ago, just at the beginning of the disease for her. I asked her a lot of the same questions. I'm going to figure out how to download it from tape onto a digital format and get it up on the blog.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Gail Rae said...

Whoa, I hope you figure out a way to download the previous interview. One of the aspects of living with my mother, now, after having known her pretty closely for so many decades is that I am surprised that, in her dementia, she reveals a lot more of herself than she ever did. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can find a way to transfer the earlier interview. I'd love to hear them and compare! Besides my own interest, I think it would make an interesting comparison; interview pre-dementia compared with interview in-dementia.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

Exactly. It would be an amazing comparison.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]