JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ten Things That Define My Style (MEME)

Melanie from "Happy Thoughts" tagged me to describe ten things that define my style. Here goes:

  1. Openness, honest, truth: I seek the truth, and I try to be open and honest in everything that I do. Part of what has been freaking me out lately is that I haven't known the truth about some of the people in my life and/or our relationships.
  2. Hard work and dedication: Whatever I do, I give it everything that I've got...sometimes to a fault. I tend to work myself until I'm sick.
  3. Loyalty: I tend to take a long time when building new relationships, but the ones that I get close with, I stick with.
  4. Jerusalemite: I am very connected to the city of Jerusalem, and my style reflects this.
  5. The path less taken: I tend to do things differently than I see those around me doing them. Even if I end up on a path that takes longer or that leads me in different directions, I try to follow my heart and my deep desires.
  6. JewBu: You'll find a lot of Judaica at my home. But, you'll also see a Hindu god that Sanchi gave me. And some laughing Buddahs that she gave me also. You'll see Jewish books and Buddhist books and a meditation cushion.
  7. A lot of black: You'll find a lot of black in my wardrobe and in my life. I certainly don't seek out darkness, but especially this last year has thrown a lot at me.
  8. History: I like to be surrounded by items with history and to be grounded myself in my past. Right now, I'm wearing a sweater that belonged to my grandmother.
  9. Frizzy: And I'm not just talking about my hair. I tend to live a very stressed out life, something that as I continue with the JewBu Quest, I try to lessen.
  10. Casual: I'm not fond of formal events, clothing, or relationships. I prefer being comfortable and being able to talk about everything.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Shari said...

I enjoyed reading "your style" post. I also like to be comfortable in clothes and it takes me awhile to warm up to people.

You have an interesting blog. I shall visit again.

Take care,
Shari

Thursday, January 18, 2007 8:17:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Thanks Shari. I linked to your blog on my "Gratitude" blog. We've got very similar ideas there.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 9:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It amazing how alike we all are, even though we live so far apart. A lot of us have personal issues, different religious beliefs, but our core beliefs are the same. Such as honest, work ethic, etc. I really like "your style" post. Take care.

Friday, January 19, 2007 7:59:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

Thanks Melanie. And thanks for the tag encouraging me to do it. I think it was helpful to think about these core parts of myself...it helped ground me back into who I am instead of thinking about what's happened to me.

Friday, January 19, 2007 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger Gail Rae said...

Regarding the color black: To me, because it is the absence of all color, it's always signified possibility...open doors...what could happen vs. what will happen. As well, to me, it is the color of All That Is Not Yet Known But Exists Anyway.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 2:07:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

I completely agree, Gail! That's one of the reasons that I like the color - there's a mystery and an openness to it.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 9:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]