JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hypoglycemia

I was diagnosed a couple of months ago with hypoglycemia. Basically, around 4-7pm I often get kinda jittery, sometimes light headed, agitated, have hard time focusing, etc. Tonight and last night around 6pm, I checked my blood sugar to find that it is 70. That isn't crazy low, but I think that its too low for during the day. I don't know enough about all of this. But yesterday, I ended up laying on the floor for about 15 minutes crying and barely able to move.

I made a follow up appointment with the campus dietitian and will go again to acupuncture because I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. Probably stress is a factor. I'm cutting back on my alcohol consumption and have been careful about minimizing my consumption of sugar and white flour. I'm really struggling to find afternoon snacks that I can eat - a lot of granola and energy bars have tons of sugar; I'm lactose intolerant so can't have cheese....sometimes I'll have a hard boiled egg and a banana or something - but I want something super portable and easy for when I'm not at home. Any ideas?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one reason I love working at home. It really is very tough to eat healthy at work.
My first thoughts are: fruits and vegetables along with different kinds of nuts - untoasted and unroasted, just plain and natural.
Together they can make a decent snack.
Raisins and other dried fruit are good too.
I used to take a small box with me to work with these things and it was fine.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

This diet I've been on really opened my eyes to how much sugar we eat in the US. I did some research on the web. You can find some good tips by searching "glycemic index." BTW, I think bananas may have quite a bit of natural sugar in them so you may want to watch that. Best wishes for imroved health! You're aware; that's half the battle.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:55:00 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

At first I didn't understand why you needed to cut back on sugar/carbs when you have low blood sugar (you'd think it means you need more sugar?) Kind of like an oxymoron. Avoid caffeine and tobacco, too. Source: http://www.hypoglycemia.org/diet.asp

I found another website for you: http://www.uiowa.edu/~c099001/food/Hypoglycemia.html

HTH :)

Take care

Friday, July 20, 2007 7:34:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Thanks to everyone for your help. Yeah, I can't eat dried fruit because there's too much sugar. And nuts are a migraine trigger. I have so many dietary restrictions right now for all of these problems - they all conflict. You're right Marj that bananas might not be good either - i just had hoped that with some protein, that it would balance out. The websites were very helpful, Shari, thanks!

Friday, July 20, 2007 8:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]