JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

What can I do that makes me happy now that I'm on my own?

April suggested that I make a list -

What can I do that makes me happy now that I'm on my own? What can I do that will make me laugh that I couldn't do while I was with Jerry?

So here goes:
  1. Spend time with my friends.
  2. Practice meditation and explore more meditation communities.
  3. Go to poetry readings, jazz music performances, and feminist activities.
  4. I can work on creating new relationships and finding new people to share some of the things that I used to do with Jerry - like going for breakfast on the weekend, going for bike rides, having picnics at the beach, hanging out and watching movies.
  5. Start up getting massages again on Friday evenings by this really amazing friend of mine who studies Psychology, trauma, and cranial sacral (great for the migraines).
  6. Hosting Friday night Shabbat dinners.
  7. Take an adult ed class in writing or painting or something creative.
  8. I can watch all the movies that Jerry didn't want to watch - the Israeli, queer, and/or feminist flicks.
  9. Volunteer.
  10. Take baths.
  11. Eat a lot healthier and drink a lot less.
  12. Plan for a real vacation.
  13. Maybe I'll try to stay up late on Sunday nights and go with my friends to the bar that has the queer night.
  14. Get my tuchus back to Israel.
  15. Find ways to keep balance in my life between work and play.
  16. Start practicing yoga again and hope that I can do it with out injuring my back...
  17. Get more involved with the local shul and Hillel - and have a sense of humor about how much it isn't exactly what I want from a community.
  18. Work on chit chatting with new people, meeting lots of new people, and taking my time in getting to know them.
  19. Go back to online dating and keep a sense of humor about it.
  20. Put a lot of effort when the school year starts on meeting the new cohort and helping organizing queer grad events.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger tafka PP said...

Great list: I particularly await the penultimate one.

I think you'll find even more things to laugh about too.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

That's a hard one....Jerry made me laugh.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

I'm sorry for the pain of the break-up, but this exercise is great and it looks like you're really going about it in a healthy way. Good for you. Take gentle care.

Monday, August 13, 2007 1:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]