What Makes Me Smile
April suggested, in a comment to my last post, that I think about things that make me smile to help me battle the depression that's been setting in as a consequence of feeling hopeless about how my father is handling the care (or lack there of) of my mother.
I had her question in my head last night when I started to feel the depression wave come in. So I first went to work out, but then I realized that I had forgotten socks in my gym bag (and I was wearing flip flops) so I had to skip that. I went home and ate a whole box of mac and cheese. Then, I decided to take myself on a shopping spree. When I went into the Aveda store, I was offered a chakra balancing and neck massage. It was just what I needed. Even though that was a pretty expensive depression treatment, it made me realize that there are things that I can do to shift things.
So here's my list.
Things That Make Me Smile
- watching my dog play with other dogs
- hanging out with friends (sometimes)
- seeing an old friend
- talking to my niece and nephew
- a really good meal
- Danny Kaye movies
- seeing students learn
- watching the sunset
- brunch with friends
- working out at my gym with the trainers who have become like friends
- the coffee shop around the corner from my place
- people telling me they appreciate me
- getting a pedicure with Jennifer