JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Monday, March 30, 2009

When Are Anti-Depressants Necessary?

I am still debating whether or not to go on an anti-depressant. Some days are better than others, and while I feel less depressed than I did a month ago, its still here. I don't know what is depression really though and what is just grief. If what I'm feeling is just grief, then is it appropriate to go on an anti-depressant? I'm going to discuss this stuff with my therapist Wednesday. And I'm going to keep working out a lot, taking herbal anti-depressants, and taking the meditation class.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

I can't give medical advice, of course, but I have personally found pretty similar results with Omega 3 fish oil as with Zoloft (was on it two different times, in addition to my stints with Efexor and Prozac).

Fairly recently, I've really discovered--first-hand--the difference between grief and depression. For me, depression is a really flat, "who cares?" and "what's the use?" type of thing. When I'm grieving, on the other hand, it can really be painful, but it is totally different. It's not flat at all. I DO care, I AM feeling the feelings.

I'd say, from what you've shared here, you have plenty to grieve about. You deserve to have your feelings.

I know it, too, can be very difficult. (((((((Karma)))))))

Monday, April 06, 2009 12:41:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Right now I'm having a hopelessness related to the way that my mother is dying and how my father is handling it. So there's what could be described as a depression related to the situation.

I started Welbrutin a couple of days ago and am noticing an improvement. I still have a lot to grieve about, but I'm able to be more productive with work and not get as lost in the feelings of hopelessness about my parents.

Thanks Marj!

Monday, April 06, 2009 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger April_optimist said...

Looks as if you have an answer and that's good. I hope the Welbutrin continues to help. I wouldn't have known what to tell you. You're under a great deal of stress and grieving and toss in some other emotions and....

Meanwhile...I have an award for you on my blog!

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:03:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Thank you!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]