JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Transitions and Perhaps a Dissertation Topic

So, my meeting with the professor yesterday went really well. He basically said that I can take all of the data that I've been helping to collect for the last two years and write my dissertation on that. He also told me not to worry about taking any more classes (except for the one that he's teaching next quarter that I need to take) and that I'm "already a scholar in my own right."

So, I can go back to Kansas City if I want and take like a year and write up my dissertation during the day 9-5, and then spend evenings and weekends with Mom. That's what I'm thinking about doing, but I'm trying to ease into it. I'll really miss my home here and Jerry and everything. But, I'm leaning towards just wanting to be with Mom.

I went tonight to a hospice support group to talk about losing Grandma. I was going to go afterwards to a movie at Hillel and then an anti-war demonstration, but instead I came home for a glass of wine and a cookie and to start looking at the data for my potential dissertation topic and start to think about whether or not I can take that on.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gail Rae said...

I feel completely out of my depth advising you, here, since this is a very personal decision you have to make, but, the truth is, it sounds like you're leaning toward your Mom and Kansas and I'm thinking that if you don't take this opportunity while you can and it's easy, you may later regret that you didn't do it.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Karma said...

Well, with a decision like this, there's always the possibilities of regrets - the regret of not staying here and focusing more on my program and getting more out of grad school, the regret of leaving Jerry and *A* and my home, the regret of putting myself through whatever that year in KC would bring.

It won't be easy either way.

Friday, February 23, 2007 9:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]