JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Survivor Needs MEME

Marj at Survivors Can Thrive has created a MEME about what survivors like myself need and want, and she's tagged me! The rules, according to her, are at the end. The point of this MEME is that we learn to take better care of our needs in the coming year. So here goes:

What I Need

  • I need good sleep for 8 hours a night. It doesn't come easy, so I need to practice cognitive behavioral therapy and sometimes even take anti-anxiety medication.
  • I need to feel supported and cared for and noticed.
  • I need to eat well and avoid triggering foods.
  • I need to exercise regularly to relieve stress and release endorphins.
  • I need to stay present with my feelings and not try to push them down or avoid them.
  • I need to learn how to enjoy the present moment instead of getting lost in memories of the pasts or fears about the future.
  • I need to be able to reclaim my sexuality in a healthy way.
  • I need to tell people what I want, to surround myself with people who respect my boundaries and give me what I need.
  • I need to develop healthy self-esteem.
  • I need a community.
  • I need to be working to make the world a better place.
  • I need to talk about my feelings and experience, to be heard and supported in my quest.
  • I need to be free from people who abuse and misuse me.
  • I need time to myself, to just be, to snuggle with my dog.
  • I need to be believed when I tell my story or tell others what I need.
What I Want
  • I want chocolate, wine, comfort food.
  • I want something to take the pain and suffering away.
  • I want lots and lots of good friends.
  • I want hot, steamy sex.
  • I want to succeed in my career.
  • I want a life partner.
  • I want a vacation.
  • I want a cure for Alzheimer's.
  • I want my Mom back.
  • I want pictures of my family and from my childhood.
  • I want my cousins, Kathy, and *A to start talking to me again.
  • I want to eliminate sexual violence.

Rules of the "Survivor Needs" Meme:

  • Please link back to this post so people can see the origins of the meme, get ideas for their own self-care list, see who's already been tagged, and maybe we can track how far this meme goes.
  • List 25 needs and five wants. Try to restrict your needs list to things that have to do with being a survivor of some sort of abuse, assault, etc. Your wants list can be anything...you want!
  • Use this list to remind yourself to get your needs met this holiday season and in the New Year.
  • Pass on the meme and tag people to play the meme with you.
Survivors I'm Tagging

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

This is a wonderful list! I'm so glad you played.

Monday, December 24, 2007 9:28:00 AM  
Blogger April_optimist said...

Great list! May all of these things come true for you in the coming year.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Patricia Singleton said...

Karma, thanks for sharing your list. You have some that I wish that I had put on mine and didn't think about.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Gail Rae said...

Wow, gotta tell ya, Karma, although all I've survived is just general life, nothing really traumatic, I can really relate to your lists! Excellent! I especially like the idea of creating new MEMEs.
I also want to mention, as I wander back through posts of yours I've missed, I'm noticing that you have developed a distinctly individual, succinct style while I've been gone which I am really enjoying. I think I'm going to enjoy watching it develop as I travel backwards in your time, as well.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]