JewBu Quest: From Abuse to Happiness

JewBu: a Jew who practices forms of Buddhist meditation & spirituality. This blog documents my quest to 1) heal from sexual, verbal, and emotional abuse, 2) come to terms with losing Mom and Grandma to Alzheimers, 3) find balance, explore the spiritual, stay present. Bascially, I've experienced some pretty crappy shit in my life and want to find a way to move past it and find happiness.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Seizures and Alzheimer's

Apparently getting seizures in the late stages of Alzheimer's is not uncommon. Mom has been getting them quite regularly. She is treated for them with Ativan, which some say only control the tremors, but don't actually address the seizures themselves. But, her doctor says that seizure medication is extremely bad news for someone with Alzheimer's.

This weekend has been insane for Mom. After probably a month with no seizures, she's had one every single day apparently since Friday (so Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday). That's four days in a row!

After a seizure, Mom usually passes out for a few hours to a whole day. Sometimes, we just assume that she's had a seizure because she's passed out and can't be woken up. Sometimes, there are marks on her face or body which indicate that she's fallen, also a sign of a seizure. This weekend, several days she was found falling onto the floor from a seated position, apparently also a sign of a seizure.

If anyone knows anything about Alzheimer's and seizures or has experience with this, please mention this in comments. I'm confused about whether or not the seizures are a sign that she has declined, the seizures will cause a further decline, or both. I know that the former is certainly true.

Its heartbreaking, not just to me, but also to my sister and my dad. We aren't sure what exactly is happening, just that it isn't good. Many days, Mom can't be woken up at all, and she probably is barely eating or drinking. Luckily, my sister went up there tonight and made Mom drink two glasses of water. But, she said that Mom had to be moved from her wheelchair on to the couch, and that her legs appeared to not be functioning at all. The only thing that sis could make out that Mom said was "I don't know you." This isn't good.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger April_optimist said...

Big ((((((hugs))))))). I have no answers, just want to let you know I care.

Friday, May 09, 2008 3:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karma,
Im sorry to hear your mom is having seizures..my mom also had them for for the last few years. They have lessened to almost none in the last year. I believe that it is a progression of the disease, as the brain shrinks casing the seizures. My mom is constantly holding her head..as if she is in pain. The doctor may need to up her medicine dosage to stabilize her seizures. During her seizures she would drool, sweat, and turn gray and fall where ever she was standing. She almost looked dead at times. This disease is rotton for everone involved. Mom has gone through changes over the past few months, wanting to sleep more and can nolonger walk with help. Im sure theres more to come. If this is any indiction how long this disease can go on..its been 8 years and counting. Big hugs to you and your family.
Peg

Sunday, May 11, 2008 8:43:00 PM  
Blogger April_optimist said...

How are things going now? Any change?

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:37:00 AM  
Blogger Gail Rae said...

Just shaking my head as I catch up backward. God, I hope going through such a decline isn't nearly as bad as having to watch someone go through it.

Sunday, August 03, 2008 9:18:00 PM  
Blogger luci said...

My husband has had Alzheimer's since 1997. It's like a haze for me because I have seen him transform from a healthy domineering male to a helpless man
that depends on me for everything. I have to do everything for him short of breathing for him. I would like to hear from other people in the same situation. He just recently had a full blown seizure. He has had tremors for about a year and a half.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Karma said...

Hey Luci,
That's about how long my mom has had Alzheimer's. I hadn't heard before of other people other than Peg and my moms having seizures with the disease and am happy to share experiences with you about that. Also, check out the links to other blogs and the memory link - - there are numerous blogs of people whose family members have Alzheimer's.

It definitely helps me to have these blogs to share our experiences.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[rockin+girl.jpg]